Thursday, December 11, 2008

Fearing Hell

I originally posted this in response to Ray Comforts blog but added and edited some to start my own blog. Here's the link this is in reference to.

I don't fear Hell in the sense most people think. I fear any existence without God. I fear that if I don't live how Jesus lives I won't hear him say "Dory, Job well done". I truly want to see my grandparents and all those who walked before me in Heaven. I don't need streets of gold or a mansion. I don't need anything but to be in the presence of the high and mighty God. I love Jesus Christ not out of fear but for what he has done for me and my family time and time again while I lived a sinful life. He blesses me everyday with the his loving presence in my life.

Now on another hand I do fear the physical Hell for the lost. The other night I had a fire going in my fireplace. The fire needed some logs tossed on it. So I stirred up the embers and a burst of heat came at me and gave my arm a good cooking. It stung horribly and there in that moment I knew that that pain could be eternal for the lost. Then comes the old phrase -once burned lessen learned-. People don't understand once judgment comes to pass there is no second chance. Hell is more than fire. It's darkness with out God. It's hopelessness with out Jesus Christ. It's being lost with out every having guidance of the gracious Holy Spirit.

How people can deny that God is alive is beyond me. How can you not look at a sunset, the trees sway in the wind, the fearsomeness of a thunderstorm, the birth of a child and say there is no God? How everything in the world is so perfectly balanced. How the universe is so magnificently and finely tuned. How a tree is companion to animals and man to change our breath from poison back to fresh air. Thanks to sin the world isn't perfect but you can see God's glorious works in every single thing this universe holds.

Don't be deceived. I know many of you are good and strive to live a better life as a better person. But don't be tricked. If you don't seek out God's truth you're living in Satan's masquerade.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Dory,

    I saw you post over at Atheist Central and thought I'd drop by and say hello!

    It seems you believe in the concept that Ray is talking about; eternal punishment?

    I was wondering how you reconcile an all-loving, just and merciful God with the concept of eternal punishment.

    Many thanks,

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Matt.

    How I reconcile God and Eternal punishment...

    Hell for me is absence without God. If I choose to forsake God and Jesus Christ in my life, by not living life as Jesus instructs, I know that when judged,God will tell me...You made the choice to live with out me on Earth so die with out me now. I would then be forced out of Heaven into "Hell". His justice is absolute.

    Now I know there's a good chance that if I die I might bring some sin with me. I don't always make the right choice because I confuse the voice of God with the many other "voices" that drive my consensus. I don't willingly sin and that is where's God's mercy comes into effect.

    God's love is always there during your life on Earth. Regardless if you're willing to listen, He's still there. It's not hard to change your life. I'll post a blog about how I came to change my life and decided to once and for all live for Jesus Christ.

    Now the Holy Spirit puts conviction on our hearts when we tell a lie or when we envy someone. To me it's like a burning bitterness. We feel it when you hear of a miracle happening such as when 6 yr old Cole Puffinburger was found alive in Vegas. That boy was kidnapped by the Mexican drug cartel bearing impossible odds when they make examples using murder. To me it's like a overwhelming joy. The thing is God's love and mercy is a gift. You can choose to accept the gift or refuse it. The best thing is when you pass the gift on.

    One thing to really understand is Hell isn't controlled by God. God has authority everywhere of course but Satan has the controls where God chooses to be absent. I hope this helps you out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dory,

    Thanks for replying.

    Regardless of who is in control in Hell; God made the rules. We're playing His game, His way. The rules, as He has determined them, say;

    'Love me with all your heart. If you don't, then you will spend an eternity in torment.'

    However we puny mortals play the game; you have to admit that the penalty for getting it wrong is somewhat over-the-top. Infinite punishment for finite crimes.

    Is it really such a crime to not accept the redemption of Christ? I mean, we only have a Sin-nature at all because of the sins of two individuals who ate fruit that they shouldn't have.

    What about all those people who never heard the Gospel? What about all the False Converts who thought they were doing it right, had good intentions, but just missed out?

    Why does the mass murderer receive the same punishment as the 15 year old candy thief?

    These are the perceived inequalities in the eternal punishment doctrine that, I think, cause unbelievers to not even WANT God to be real - it's just highly distasteful to an ethical person.

    I hope you can see where I'm coming from with this.

    Cheers,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand completely what you are saying because I also deal with that issue. But my knowledge of Heaven and Hell, is very limited. Really who would know unless they been to both Heaven and Hell. Now I was born and raised in a strong Christian home in the Assemblies of God. I slipped a lot and was recently reborn at 35. I'm catching up spiritually and doing a lot of research and when I come to a definite conclusion on my own I will definitely post on it. This is what I believe right now but I have no biblical backing on this so take it with a grain of salt. But for now...

    Have you ever seen the movie "What Dreams may come"? It was a movie with Robin Williams that came out several years ago. His children die in a car accident, he later dies in a accident. After a some time his wife commits suicide due to her depression. Robin meets a old friend who guides him from earth to heaven. But Robin can't find his wife there. He finally meets his children after some learning and self discovery. Then he finds out his wife went to Hell. Of course he's upset and he goes into Hell to get his wife.

    Now I know this is a big twist is what most believe are what the rules between Heaven and Hell would be. But my thing is this... when he gets to Hell he see it isn't fire and brimstone. he does see various degrees of punishment on his journey. He finally find his wife is in what looks like their home but it is severely worn down looking hopeless and in eternal darkness. She's stuck living the horrible sadness over and over again in her mind. I believe this part of the movie is a good visual of what happens. We all build our own Hell. Then for others who are straight up evil will see the worst Hell has to offer. It's not the same punishment because exactly as you said a child who stole a piece of candy doesn't deserve a pit of fire. Now at the same time if we choose to reject God we reject God for eternity.

    Now bear with me, this was going to be a really long post but I'm taking the last half and I plan to turn it into a separate post based on How can a person not believe in God.

    ReplyDelete